Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Joy of Dance

It may be a little tough to tell in this case, but this is from a dance performance a few weeks back. In this case The Strange Tree Theater Group at Aloft Aerial Dance. Think experimental dance mixed with trapeze. Right up my alley.

Over the past few years I've come to discover that I love watching dance performances. My favorites though are the more experimental dance groups. I don't quite know what it is about dance, but story telling through dance just appeals to me. I guess in a way it makes sense, dance being visual, me being a visual artist. Regardless of that being the source of my interest or not, I enjoy a good dance performance.

So far I've found these groups through work assignments and I want to find more, alas this means I'm going to have to start searching. I'd love to get to the point where I can go to one good dance performance every month. That may be a bit optimistic, but worth a good try. So if anyone should know a good dance group in the Chicago area, feel free to live a comment with some info about them, I'd love to know. Also, I tend to enjoy helping these groups out by taking photos of their performances for some sort of trade, so you might be able to help them and me.

And if you're looking for a good show, another company worth a good, long, and enjoyable look is Chicago Tap Theater.

No comments: