Thursday, March 08, 2007

More from the cutting room floor

The ongoing complaint of every photojournalist, every photo department, the paper never runs the photos they should run.

I can't change this at my paper, at least not quickly. It doesn't seem most photographers can change this at their papers. So we all end up with piles and files of photos that we, the photographers, think should have run, but never did.

So I'm now going to run them here, at least from time to time.

Having shot basketball for the last few months, you would think my editors would be tired of printing lay-up shots. Nope, not even close. In game that was about stiff defenses, hard fouling, rebounds and turnovers, not a single one of those images ran.

Oh well. At least I've got them, and they make me happy. At the end of the day what else can I ask for?

So just to provide some context for these images.

This was the lowest scoring championship game in Illinois AA Girls basketball history.

Turnovers we're happening left and right, shots weren't sinking very often. Elbows seemed very...let's call it free, under the basket.

This was, as has been widely reported, a game based on defense.

Maybe these shots don't show the victorious Fenwick Friars looking victorious, but they do show the game more as it was. Hard fought, and close till the very end.

No comments: