Saturday, August 25, 2007

Shoot it Right to Start with

So I am doing a project for a very wonderful dance studio, Danza Viva (salsa Rocks!). The project involves mixing images of dancers, not always in dance related poses, with spiritual symbols. And well it is coming along well, now I'm remembering why I like to shot to fit a design, because designing to fit an image is just time consuming.

I also just don't like doing the computer work. Cropping, toning and other basic image adjustments, fine. Design work, it's a lot of work. "Work" is a four letter word, so is "real", I don't do either. It's also work I don't normally do so I'm betting I'm slow, and I'm making mistakes. Straight photo work I can do quick and well.

Bit by bit it's coming together. It will be done somewhat soon, on the other hand, it may be a bit longer.

The other problem with computer work is that there is always a flaw you can fix, and you can fix it, when you're shooting, if there is a flaw you live with it and keep moving forward. You remember it, so you don't do it again, but you don't go back and fix every small thing, because you just can't. "Hey, Miss Model, can you just hold that pose for the next 6 or 7 hours please? Thanks, I may also want you to move incredibly small amounts. Again, thanks."

And I have weird problems. The image of Khazna (she's the face), for example, I'm worried she may be too beautiful, as in intimidatingly beautiful. This is not one of those things I normally concern myself with.

The project is coming out nice though, just slower than I'm used to. And if I was to do it again, I'd do about 25 things differently. Ah well, live and learn.

And on a side note, Jeff Buckley, "Grace", and absolutely awesome CD. If you haven't checked it out, what's wrong with you?

No comments: