Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Update on My Pushiness and the Joy of Statcounting

So I either reacted to quickly, which is a trait, I should point out, that I'm not known for, really, never done it before, not a once, I'm a calm pond in a tumultuous ocean. Yep, that's me, calm and cool. (okay, enough self-mockery.) Or someone is using RSS feeds.

So last evening I mentioned some artistic disagreements I had with a performer. Okay, so today some photos were added. Cool.

Now this is where it gets interesting to me, I stat track. I've always been a huge fan of having information and statistics as to what is occurring in whatever I do. In this day and age, information really is power, and I want to know how many people are reading my rambling. That, and I'm self-obsessed, or as I like to like to say, "I'm deeply and dearly loved (mumble by me mumble.)" Or, you can go with, "You can't love and be loved till you learn to love yourself." Though the jokes that follow that statement, well, they last for days, and days, and days.

For those of you who aren't geeks, and let's be honest, geeks rule. Basically what happens is there is a little bit of code made by a company, StatCounter, in all my pages and sites which tell me how many people are visiting, plus some other little tidbits. The "other little tidbits" are pretty interesting though, and really not little.

Some are things that are quite useful, like your monitor resolution. Knowing this helps me make better layout decisions in the future for my web site and blog for better viewing. Cool beans.

I also know what pages get visited most often. (Much to my surprise on my website my Bed Series (warning, my naked butt) is actually kind of popular. Hmmm, wouldn't have guessed, but good, I like that series too.)

I know how people get to my sites. (Shout out to old Blood & Thunder and Zeepie.) If people show up via search terms I know which terms. (Josh Hawkins is the most popular, shocker, but me and Joshua Hawkins are always duking it out for #1 on Google. FYI - Joshua, as far as I can tell, interesting. An "intercessory missionary" out of the International House of Prayer (IHOP, as long as he sees the humor in that and is passionate about what he does, I think we'd get along.))

On the cool to know, and not really revealing most of the time but kind of in my case side, I also know where people are located who are checking out my site, or at least where there ISP is located. (Everyone give a big wave to Ann Arbor Michigan, Dallas Texas and Zagreb Croatia. Yeah, I'm not sure who is in Zagreb, but I'm all about meeting new people, so, "Howdy Zagreb, good to have you. Hope to see you again.") For those who didn't know about this, now you do, you may also want to read here.

Okay so I have all this info, which I like, but then there are RSS feeds. By and large I don't worry about them all that much, most people don't know how to use them (he says to the crowd of IT professionals) and there ain't nothing I can do about it no how.

So why do I mention all of this? Because the change in the images, the timing, I don't know if it's my overly quick reactions or a reaction to what I said. The stats would suggest it was unlikely the performer read any of this, but then there are RSS feeds and I believe the performer is probably fairly tech savvy. Hmmm....which is it?

At this point, I believe I need to get a life if this is what I'm thinking about. Ah well, it's an actual sit at home day off. I also don't like to feel pushy, or at least indirectly pushy, directly pushy is fine though. Anyhow...off to getting kids fat, because it's better than getting me fat.

-------------

And on a completely unrelated note, Cave of the Golden Buddha (tea), not such a huge fan. Decent, but not great, and I always want Great, with a capital "G". But I have developed a consistent method for brewing that is working pretty well for me. 185F, as per the instructions, a quick wash of the tea in the pot. Basically poor in enough water to cover the leaves then empty. Let the leaves stand for 1:11 to let the residual water soak in and open up the leaves. Poor water in, preferably from 2-3 feet above the pot to agitate the leaves. Let stand for 2:22. Empty and drink. 2nd infusion, repeat, let stand 3:33. The third infusion I'm still working on as I don't often do 3 infusions (36 ounces of tea right before bed, it creates issues about 2 hours later) but currently I'm letting the 3rd infusion stand for 5:55. That seems to be working pretty good. The 2nd infusion is almost universally the best tasting, sometimes by a wide margin, but this technique, especially with the pre-wash has really helped bring that first infusion much closer to the 2nd. Did I mention needing a life?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so want this stat counter thingy. Awesomeness.

(and I read but do not comment as you write about meaningful stuff and things and I write about Schweaty Balls)

Josh Hawkins said...

Your husband is like the uber-geek, or maybe a wanna be uber-geek (oh, smack). Have him do it. It's really easy for me, so for him it should be 15 minutes. Then you can spend all your time obsessing over how many people do or don't read your blog. It's a new level of self-absorption I enjoy.

Most of life is Schweaty Balls. Alas, I have my business name on this blog so there are limit as to the personal issues I will go into, that's why there are no Schweaty Balls posts.

And meaningful is truly relative. I'd argue that some of the overly intellectualized who-ha I write about is far less important than what you write you about.

And never doubt, much of what you write about makes me envious of your life.

Anonymous said...

I just blushed, Josh. Thank you :)

Thanks for the idea about Stat Counter. I may try it and see if I like it.

And you're right, most of life IS Schweaty Balls.

Tina Jean said...

Josh, I was one of your new rss feed subscriptions from gmail lately so don't worry as much :) I am great at subscribing to rss feeds, okay at keeping up with reading, and bad at actually posting. Hope you are well. Thanks for all the tips last week, and for reposting some for easy finding for me!