Friday, March 28, 2008

2nd, I Hate to Say It, But It's What I Was Hoping for

I knew 2nd was the best I could do. I don't like 2nd, but in this case there was no chance for first. Everyone in the state who cared knew who was going to get first, it was a forgone conclusion.

Oh yeah, what am I talking about? Yeah, that detail. The IPPA (Illinois Press Photographers Association) iBOP (Illinois Best of Photojournalism) awards for 2007. If you are a photojournalist in Illinois, this is the contest you enter. This is where you get recognized by your peers.

First place this year for Feature Picture Story was going to go to Scott Strazzante. He did a piece about 10 years back on a farm that was being sold and turned into a sub-division. This year he did a follow up piece on that sub-division. The result is a series of diptychs, "Echos of the Past", that is simply amazing. They are well thought out, conceptual, poignant, informative and non-judgmental. Some of the best PJ work I've seen in a long while. It's also been widely talked about amongst journalists, photojournalists, photographers, not to mention published in the Chicago Tribune (Scott's employeer) and National Geographic, just to name two. It will in a few years make a great book. I'll buy one, no doubts.

So, suffice it to say, getting first for Feature Picture Story was out. The competition in this category was for 2nd (or as I prefer to call it, first loser). I got 2nd with the Summer Love series (you know, the underwater images). I'm pretty good with that. I haven't had a chance to see the other pieces that placed yet. I didn't get a chance to go watch the judging this year as it was done down state. But if this year is similar to previous years, it means I did some good work, this tends to be a strong category.

Also for one of the individual images from the Summer Love series I got 3rd place in Pictorial.

All and all, a pretty good day.

I look forward to seeing the winners in all the other categories when they get put online. You can see the list at least here. Congrats to all the winners. I personally look forward to enjoying the fruits of your labor, and thanks for sharing, especially, thanks for sharing.

8 comments:

guildencrantz said...

Congratulations, Josh! Yeah, that is a phenomenal series. Woo hoo!

Josh Hawkins said...

Thanks. It certainly is a nice feeling. Now I just have to figure out how do it again. ;)

Zeepdoggie & GringO said...

If SumLove lost out to it, then it must be incredible. Congratulations on the prize, my friend. I predict next year, it will be yours.

Josh Hawkins said...

Thanks rat bastard. I'd like that one, but I guy my eye on a few further up the line also. ;) Why go for one step when you can take a baker's dozen?

Anonymous said...

Yes! Congratulations Josh. That is too cool.

Josh Hawkins said...

Thanks Emily. It was good hanging last night, even if you were a bit exhausted. On the other hand, a full day of writing, while tiring, I imagine has to feel sweet. Hope the reading goes well today.

Anonymous said...

Long overdue recognition. Most excellent.

You're not openly shooting (ha!) for a Pulitzer yet? That's not the magnificent Hawkins Ego I know.

Josh Hawkins said...

Thanks Al. Not yet. The big problem with the pulitzers these days is that in photography they so rarely go to a photographer and instead go to teams of photographers. The one for 2008 calender will probably go to the AP team covering the election. Come on. That will be 20-25 of the best photogs on the planet each with their best image entered. One photog covering any story is going to have a really hard time competing.

Don't get me wrong, I will go for one, but it's still a few years away. Right now I just want any of the following:

best pj in the state,
best feature story in the country,
or best pj in the country.

Any of those would be acceptable. ;) But all of those are still a lot of work away. But none of them are unattainable either. :)